RESEARCH AND ANALYSIS FOR’ EVOLUTION
Pontlab owns the most modern analytical techniques for analysis and testing of polymeric materials, the physical-chemical characterization, materials research.
Thanks to the skills acquired in different sectors is able to study many types of materials.
Our analyzes and tests on polymeric materials are applicable to various matrices (is solid, both liquid), of organic and inorganic nature as plastics, composite materials, tires, paints, adhesives, fuels, was, solvents, paper, textiles, leather, composti for the pharmaceutical industry, etc.
Pontlab uses cutting-edge equipment in collaboration with Perkin Elmer, world leader in the manufacture of instrumentation for laboratories.
The laboratory operates following strict methodologies established by national laws and international reference assuring complete impartiality of the results. Pontlab is indeed credited as testing laboratory N ° 1286 L by Accredia, the Italian Accreditation body.
- Chemical analysis
- Chemical / physical characterization with Differential Scanning Calorimeter ( DSC ), Termogravimetric analysis ( TGA ), Analysis FT-IR , Dynamic Mechanical Analyzer ( DMA )
- Chemical Imaging
- Determination of the hardness Shore A , Shore D
Knowing the precise chemical composition of a material, is essential to ensure the quality and safety of the finished product and at the same time safeguarding the environment and consumer health, certifying it is the absence of substances prohibited under national and international regulations (hexavalent chromium, formaldehyde, phenols, phthalates, azo dyes, etc.).
For our analysis and testing of polymeric materials Main techniques and tools in the laboratory:
- ICP-OES Spectrometry combined with Microwave digester. To determine a considerable number of chemical elements and in particular the content of metals present, Also trace, on solid samples and liquids of any nature.
- C-S Analizer. It used to determine the Carbon and Sulfur content in metallic and non-metallic samples such as cements, ceramics, ash etc..
- Gas Chromatography with Mass spectrometry GC-MS. It is used for the qualitative and quantitative determination of organic compounds in gaseous samples, liquid or solid. Allows for example detect the presence of organic additives and is also used for the analysis of hydrocarbons and solvents.
- Liquid Chromatography UHPLC-MS-UV and HPLC- DAD. This technique allows to separate mixtures also very complex, thereby allowing the determination of the quantitative and qualitative composition of different materials such as polymers, drugs, leather, searching within the same the presence of certain substances and / or additives.
Particularly important for a correct analysis of materials is the identification and comparison of different characteristics, is made possible with the use of different analytical techniques that identify one or more chemical or physical characteristics.
The study of collected data can provide information to make comparisons between different lot, assess compliance with the specifications or intended use. These techniques are applicable to a wide range of materials such as compact solid, thermoplastic, tires, resins, organic materials, ceramics, glass, metals and building materials; powders such as pharmaceutical compounds and minerals; fibers and textile materials; viscous samples such as pastes, cream and gel; liquids.
Given the importance of characterizations, we use cutting-edge equipment with our partner Perkin Elmer, as a world leader in the production of laboratory instrumentation. Key techniques and instruments in the laboratory:
- Differential Scanning Calorimetry DSC Thermal analysis based on enthalpy changes that can be used to obtain information relating to: temperature characteristics (mergers, crystallization, polymorphic transitions, reactions, glass transitions); heat (enthalpy) melting, crystallization, transformation and reaction; crystallinity of semi-crystalline substances; degree of crosslinking resins, adhesives etc.; specific heat (cp); compatibility between components; influence of age; influence of additives, adding plasticizers or granules (into the polymeric materials).
- TGA Thermogravimetric Analysis interfaced, when necessary, the Infrared spectrometer TGA-IR and with Mass Spectrometer TGA-MS. To measure the decrease of weight of the sample as a function of temperature, identifying simultaneously both the volatiles liberated that the inorganic compound. You can perform, for example, analysis concerning: composition of polymers, the presence of moisture, residual solvents, solvents of crystallization, pseudo polymorphism.
- Infrared Spectroscopy FT-IR equipped with accessorio ATR accessory. It allows toacquire chemical information (functional groups and covalent bonds) both of polymeric materials, that of organic or inorganic nature components.
- Dynamic-Mechanical Analysis DMA It allows to refer to mechanical stresses (traction, flexion, cut) a small sample of material to determine the visco-elastic characteristics (elastic and viscous modulus) as a function of temperature and stress frequency, simulating real conditions of use (temperature from -100 ° C to + 250 ° C, with the possibility to immerse the sample in a liquid).
- Durometer Shore A e Shore D It allows to determine the hardness of elastomers and thermoplastic polymers in the two measuring scales shore: A to measure soft ones, D to measure those hardest.
The innovative technique of Chemical Imaging CI available on the IR microscope, allows to simultaneously acquire chemical (IR spectra) and spatial information (sample image) for the study of multilayer and surface inhomogeneities, as well as for the identification of pollutants on the surface of any solid organic material.
The applications of this technique are manifold. You can find more information directly on the site Perkin Elmer, manufacturer of instrumentation.
In automotive and hydraulic applications, the causes of a failure or performance drop of the components, are mostly attributable to the presence of contaminating particles, metallic and non, that can come in contact with the component itself for different reasons.
They carry out assessments of the degree of surface cleanliness of the components or contamination of oil and fuel are performed, through the execution of tests consisting inextraction of contaminants, all’gravimetric examination (which shows the total mass of the contaminant), and counting and qualitative determination of the particles pollutants. The tests are conducted according to ISO 16232, ISO 4406, ISO 4407 standards and Customer specifications.
The contamination tests are carried out through microscope Nikon interfaced with dedicated software, while the nature of the particles is determined with the aid of Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM).
new materials research
Pontlab is able to offer technical and scientific support necessary for the development of new materials. In fact, thanks to the collaboration with the Research Centers and prestigious Universities, is an ideal point of reference for the creation of innovative materials, in order to verify and optimize the characteristics (mechanical, technological, functional, of resistance etc.) more suitable for use final desired.