ANALYSIS FOR INNOVATION
Pontlab owns the most modern analytical techniques per the analysis and tests on metallic materials, the physical-chemical characterization, the material research and, Thanks to the skills acquired in different sectors, It is able to study many types of metallic materials: alloys, super alloys, light alloys etc..
The laboratory has a technical competent and professional staff that operates following strict methodologies established by national laws and international reference assuring complete impartiality of the results.
The laboratory is able to carry out the various analyzes and tests on metallic materials and components:
- Determination of the chemical composition
- metallographic analysis
- Survey Failure Analysis to identify the causes of failure of a component
- Note to Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM) and X-EDS probe for morphological observation and chemical analysis
- Hardness tests HRC, HB , micro hardness HV
- Proof of resistance to erosion by air-jet
- Mechanical and functional tests
Key techniques and instruments in the laboratory:
- ICP-OES Spectrometry combined with Microwave digester. To determine the alloying chemical elements, Also trace.
- C-S Analizer. It used to determine the Carbon and Sulfur content in metallic and non-metallic samples such as cements, ceramics, ashes etc..
They carry out metallographic analysis to examine the internal structure of metals and metal alloys. it is possible to highlight any defects and macro and microstructure of metal alloys and to measure the size of the crystal grain .
Each analysis is documented by photographic support and reliefs, measurements and calculations performed by software on areas of interest. The metallographic analyzes are carried out through microscopes Nikon.
This instrumentation in the laboratory can perform:
- Optical Metallography Microscopy: It allows to perform micrograph examinations on metallographic samples..
- HR-HB Hardness and HV micro hardness tests: They are useful for checkingthe conformity of a material or an alloy tot the technical specifications.
- Hardenability Jominy: It allows you to examine the behavior of steel heat treatment, in particular by verifying the hardness penetration in depth; the test also provides important information on the attitude of steel tested to undergo the hardening treatment.
The Scanning Electron Microscopy SEM Is a technique that allows to perform morphological surfaces investigations of magnifications up to 400.000x.
The SEM his equipped with microanalisys X-ray EDS probe for microanalysis, which allows to perform chemical semi-quantitative analyses on point or on selected areas. The probe identifies the chemical elements present on the surface providing important indications such as: Possible causes of failure, corrosion, polluting elements etc..
With the SEM you will also conduct observations regarding: microstrutture, nanomaterials, surface coatings (nickel-plating, chrome, PVD, CLD etc.), heat treatments, ballistic investigations, historical relics, organic tissues, fibers and fabrics, asbestos fibers.
The Failure Analysis is a particular multidisciplinary investigation and discussion that allows to determine the causes that led to a component failure or degradation (aesthetic or functional).
The analysis provides directions and solutions to prevent the recurrence of critical conditions, providing useful elements to the activities of Problem Solving.
And 'possible to analyze fractures, broken surfaces, welds and joints, molded plastic materials, corrosion cracking, surface treatments and coatings (galvanizing, nichel plating etc.).
Competence and professionalism of the technical staff together with modern equipment, They are the key to give some response to your inquiries. This is why we chose the technology Zeiss for Scanning Electron Microscope SEM with technology Oxford for analysis by microprobe EDS / EDX.